Change nations by praying with us monthly about global events and pressing concerns for World MAP’s ministry – Emailed once a month
Paul the apostle strongly exhorted the church to pray for “kings and all those in authority” so that “we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence” (1Tim 2:1,2).
This seems to give us a very good reason to pray. Especially with an outcome that is highly desirable in our world today, increasing daily with strife, persecution, warfare, crime and social/political upheaval!
But is that all? Is the purpose of our intercession and prayer only so that we can enjoy ease and prosperity on earth? There is a good answer to this question found in Paul’s next paragraph, which appears to be the actual point of his exhortation:
“For this [prayer] is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time” (1Tim 2:3-6).
Clearly, we are being directed to pray and ask for God to move in the hearts of all people – especially those in authority – so that conditions are created and fostered for the Gospel to be spread more quickly and thoroughly among all peoples!
There are profoundly complicated issues facing our world: natural disasters, gender confusion, ideological warfare, persecution, warring tribes and nations, terrorism, human trafficking and much more.
But remember: The ONLY hope of genuine change and real solutions is Jesus Christ saving and ruling in the hearts of people! Nothing really changes until the person – the human heart – is changed. And that is only possible by a person welcoming the transforming work and power of the Holy Spirit.
Last month, we wrote to you about Christ’s command to pray for laborers to enter the harvest (Matt 9:37,38) and to preach the Gospel everywhere to every person.
May I suggest that you are also one of those harvest laborers? It is not just the job of the full-time preacher, evangelist or missionary. If you are a follower and disciple of Jesus Christ, it is your calling, your privilege and your responsibility to tell others about Him!
The book of Acts reveals that every person was telling others about this incredible salvation available only through the resurrected Savior – even when they were being persecuted.
So let us take up this call and be diligent to tell others about Jesus!
- Pray for those in authority (government) to be saved – and saved or not, that they make God-ordained decisions that allow and foster the spread of the Gospel [whether they are aware of it or not] (Prov 21:1).
- Pray for every opposition and strategy of hell and demons to be exposed and brought down, from city councils to the offices of the presidents of nations (Eph 6:12).
- Pray for the Holy Spirit’s conviction to fall, and for hearts to respond – that they might be made open to the truth of the Good News of salvation through Jesus (John 16:8-11).
- Pray for the blinders placed on eyes and minds by the “god of this age” to be stripped away (2Cor 4:4) and for truth to be revealed (John 8:31-36).
- Pray for laborers everywhere – all Christians – to rise up and be bold to share their faith (1Pet 3:15) and to even seek out opportunities to do so.
- Pray for yourself, that God would give you open doors and spiritual preparation to “preach the Gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15).
- Pray for a mighty visitation of the Spirit of God to this generation! God is faithful to ALL generations (Ps 119:90), and so many in this current generation are lost and without purpose.
- Bahamas – After the devastating hurricane, there is immense damage and profound need for clean water, food, fuel, shelter, medical help and more! Pray for provision, and also look into ways you might help.
- Iran – Pray first for the persecuted but ever-growing Church of Jesus Christ. Second, pray for the One True God to bring righteousness and order to the government and nation.
- Indonesia – Recent unrighteous laws have passed, increasing persecution of Christians. Pray for revival in the Church, that they will rise up with boldness to declare the Gospel to their communities. Pray for miracles, signs and wonders as a witness and testimony to the dominant Muslim population.
As we follow Paul’s exhortations about prayer, remember it is not just so that we can have peace-filled and comfortable lives. But rather, that the Gospel would be preached to every people group (ethnos) in preparation for Christ’s soon return.
And remember that you are His chosen laborers to bring His Good News to every person!
It’s all for Him!
Dr. Frank and Wendy Parrish