Change nations by praying with us monthly about global events and pressing concerns for World MAP’s ministry – Emailed once a month
Editor’s Note: Over the years, we have written to you about the needs, challenges and victories in the Body of Christ worldwide,and enlisted your specific prayers. But in this month’s Prayer Corps, we are addressing the heart of the matter as it concerns God’s Kingdom purposes and strategy. Jesus the Messiah and Savior has come; and all the people of the world must be told of this marvelous hope!
I was recently in Peru, and was struck again by our Lord’s last command to us all before He physically left our planet.
In these profound words, Jesus is essentially turning over to us His eternal mission that He began: “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature” (Mk 16:15)’ “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations” (Mt 28:19).
Jesus’ words rang in my ears as I saw the jungle villages and the people who lived so primitively. Yet, in so many of these humble places there was a church and a pastor bringing forth the Word of life in the power of the Holy Spirit to His people.
This was a wonderful sight to witness as we traveled up and down the Ucayali River. But I was also aware that there are many peoples in Peru who have still never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
How could this possibly be true in this day of modern technology?!
Not Just Numbers!
In Peru, there are at least 9 (by some counts, 14) people groups that are still without a Gospel witness (according to the Joshua Project).
But in the rest of the world, of the 17,000+ distinguishable, identifiable people groups, at least 7,143 groups do not have any sustained, indigenous Christian churches or population that can continue to propagate the Gospel. This block represents 3.15 billion people!
Out of these 7,143 groups, at least 269 groups have absolutely no access to or exposure to the Gospel. This is 5.7 million souls that are still completely desperate, lost and hopeless.
In the words of Jesus, “This Gospel of the Kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations [Greek, panta ta ethne – ethnicities or people groups] and then the end will come” (Mt 24:14).
Jesus made it very clear that, before He will return, the Gospel must first be preached to all the nations/ethnos/people groups in the world.
So what then must we do?
It is always best to find out God’s heart and Word on any matter, and then, of course, do what He says to do!
So let us look at the Lord’s instructions: “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore, pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest” (Mt 9:37,38).
(continued on page 2)
- “Laborers” – Short term, long term, western missionaries, indigenous nationals, to be raised up and boldly go into the nations with the Gospel.
- Open doors – For the Lord to open ministry doors (1Cor 16:9) that no man, demonic power or opposing religion can shut (Rev 3:7).
- Awakening – For pastors, churches and denominations to awaken from their slumber to the real purpose and task for which we are still on this earth: To preach the Gospel to those who have never heard it!
- To release way more funds for this God-assigned mission.
- To proactively present missions vision to people in their churches.
- To unselfishly partner with other ministries in outreach to the people groups that remain unreached.
- To lead, promote and participate in sustained intercessory prayers for laborers; for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit in signs, wonders and miracles to confirm the Gospel they are (hopefully) preaching; receptivity by others to the Gospel; the intentional multiplication of disciples for the expansion of outreach among the unreached.
4. Discipleship – For the establishment of churches [the living Body of Christ composed of born-again Christ followers] that will not only evangelize locally, but will also:
- Make true disciples of those who believe.
- Recognize and raise up disciples to be sent out to preach the Gospel.
- Send those willing to preach, and even be martyred, so that many will believe, churches will be planted and more disciples of Christ will be made.
- So that even more disciples will be sent even further out with the Gospel, even to the ends of the earth!
This is the very clear pattern for healthy, genuine growth of the Church as seen and taught in the book of Acts. And this is still God’s pattern for us today!
So, this month, let us remember that this divine plan always begins with prayer – and let us be faithful to pray, pray and pray!
Until ALL have heard,
Dr. Frank and Wendy Parrish