REASONS TO ASK GOD FOR SIGNS AND MIRACLES
- They are promised by Jesus to those who believe in Him (Mark 16:17-20; 1Cor 12:8-11; 13:28).
- Jesus said those who believe in Him would do even greater things than He did (John 14:12,13).
- Christ disarmed the works of darkness and demons at the Cross (Col 2:15). He gave believers His authority over the demonic realm (Mark 16:17; John 14:12,13). When an evangelist uses Christ’s authority to cast out demons, the demonic rule over a person is broken and the person becomes free. People held in bondage to demon powers need to experience the power of Jesus to be set free. Those exposed to demonic forces need to know that as Christians, they are no longer subject to demonic forces and have no reason to fear.
- Signs and miracles display the very real power and authority of Jesus Christ.
- Signs and miracles help reinforce the Gospel that is being preached.
- Paul saw many miracles in his ministry (Rom 15:18,19; 2 Cor 12:12), as did Philip. Peter also saw miracles happen when he preached about Jesus. Many evangelists and ministers throughout history and around the world today see God do miracles as they pray for others. As a disciple and minister of Christ, you should also believe God for signs and miracles as part of your ministry.
MIRACLES MAY BRING TROUBLE
Miracles give people reason to rejoice and believe in the Gospel. John 20:30,31 says, “And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.”
But miracles done in Jesus’ name may not always bring a positive response. Jesus was opposed when He performed miracles (Matt 12:9-14). Paul had much trouble when he preached the Gospel and miracles took place (read Acts 19:9-12, 23-41). Satan opposes the Gospel and anything that truly glorifies the risen Christ; unredeemed people often do as well.
Pray and ask God for His protection. God will help you each time you preach and pray for the sick and confront devils. Always listen to the Holy Spirit and do exactly what the Holy Spirit tells you to do. Do not try to copy another man or woman’s ministry style. You do not have their ministry. You have only the ministry that God gave to you, and it can become a powerful one through Christ. Act in faith on what the Lord shows you.
HOW TO BEGIN TO SEEN MIRACLES
One: Obey God. Preach the Gospel where God sends you. Tell people that Jesus can heal and then lay your hands on people and pray in Jesus’ name; anoint the sick with oil, according to the Scriptures (Mark 6:13; Jas 5:14). Remember, it is not you or your gift that heals people. It is the power of God that heals, as you are obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit.